25 05 2023
A special broadcast with Santiago Mostyn for Radio Freedom, a work by Kudzanai Chiurai that takes its title from ANC revolutionary radio. Amplifying the power of music and what rhythm can do to systems of oppression, Mostyn fuses an amalgamation of pieces of sound and pieces of music from The Library of Things We Forgot to Remember and beyond. Tune into sonic registers of liberation through rhythm, the body and movement resonating across African worlds.
- Rainforest Spiritual Enslavement - Return Of Yellow Herb Ambient
- Anne Carson - Short Talks: Introduction
- Lonnie Holley - Earth Will Be There
- James Baldwin - The Struggle, Part One
- Dane Belany - Complexium: After Aimé Césaire
- Les Troubadours Du Roi Baudouin - Credo
- Amampondo & The Solid Brass Quintet - Prayer
- Anne Carson - Short Talks: On Walking Backwards
- Nikki Giovanni - Mothers
- Letta Mbulu - Not Yet Uhuru
- Lonnie Holley - Earth Will Be There (Ambient Loop)
- Eldridge Cleaver - Power to the People
Santiago Mostyn is an artist whose practice foregrounds narrative entanglements in pursuit of new understandings of place, both in a cultural and psychic sense. Mostyn has long been interested in the interplay of music, narrative and the embodied self, with works manifesting as films, exhibitions and curatorial projects.
This transmission is a live recording of Mostyn for Black (Counter)Gravity: An epilogue to FLIGHT at Malmö Konsthall curated and organised by Tawanda Appiah and Jonelle Twum.
︎ image: Radio Freedom, Kudzanai Chiurai, 2023